Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm becoming my mother...and it's a good thing...

I know, I know...I've done a horrible job at blogging and I really want to start again, especially since I spend about 30 minutes a day "stalking" other blogs (most of who I have never met!).

It is becoming more and more apparant that I am a lot like my mom...for example, I have recently found myself baking for no reason at all. It's been fun, I've tried new things, and I now have a well-stocked pantry full of random condiments such as coconut oil (quite pricey), cloves (ground and whole), and a wide variety of different types of flour (whole wheat, all-purpose, self-rising, cake flour, etc...). While it has cost a pretty penny to stock the pantry, it is nice to be able to open a cookbook without having to run to the grocery store for ingredients.

So, today I thought I'd share a family recipe. And while we're on the topic of family recipes, let me encourage you to not only have family recipes, but have them written by hand (either by the owner of the recipe, or even you). I have quite a few of my mom's and Mommand's and hope to one day have a kitchen large enough to frame and hang.

This is my "Ma-Mama's" Sour Cream Poundcake Recipe
(I will go ahead and admit there are several out there that are similar, but I think what sets this apart is sifting the flour twice, and then measuring).


Ingredients
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 large eggs
3 cups flour (sift twice and then measure)
1 cup sour cream
3 cups sugar
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks)

Set oven 325 degrees.
Dissolve the baking soda in sour cream and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine and cream the butter, sugar, and add the sour cream mixture. Add the sifted flour to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating after adding each egg. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased/floured tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.

0 comments: